There’s a limit to what I know about Claudius Boatman and family; I’m not local to Pennsylvania, and yes, I do have other ancestors I’m working on both in my family and in my children’s families! While Claudius has become something of a fascination, I never expected this project to be so big and for him to take over my life…
It’s just that there is so much information on Claudius, and so much misinformation, that I thought I’d write a page or two on him…well, you can see where that thought has gotten me! Hindsight is 20/20 as they say! I wonder what Claudius might think if he knew he’d taught me how to use HTML?
There are some records I’d like to examine, and I’m hoping other family might have them and email/mail them to me, and some books that I cannot get my hands on here in Minnesota, as well as a few other miscellaneous items.
Why don’t I put down my Christmas Wish List here, and perhaps if you’ve enjoyed reading about our colorful ancestor, you might be persuaded to help? LOL, I sound a bit like Public Television, don’t I? Perhaps I should offer a membership and dream up a Claudius T-Shirt? Have some I “heart” Gloude mugs?
- Photos of the areas Claudius and family lived in or were involved in.
- Any paperwork involving the estates of Claudius Boatman, Sr. or Jr.
- Newspaper articles not already on the list of News Articles I already have. Transcripts are fine, copies are best.
- If you’re a genealogist and you can fill in any of the questions I have throughout this site, please help!
- If you have access to any local histories that aren’t on the internet and contain information about the Boatmans I’d love to hear about it.
Wish List: Books I know about but don’t have access to; I’d love to have copies of Claudius’ information and at least the first generation of his family along with any citations included:
- History of Little Pine Valley: history & genealogy of Little Pine Valley and its residents, Author: Harry Stephenson, Camp Hill, PA: Plank’s Suburban Press, 1992, ©1991.
- English and allied families: Boatman, Callahan, Carson, Bonnell, Navel, of Pine Creek Valley, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, Helen Herritt Russell; Rhoda English Ladd, Publisher: Wellsboro, Pa. : R.E. Ladd, [198-?]
- Pennsylvania’s Pine Creek Valley and pioneer families, Author: Spencer L Kraybill, Publisher: Baltimore (1001 N. Calvert St., Baltimore 21202) : Gateway Press, 1991
(I’m a bit chagrined to admit I haven’t been able to actually read the above books; I have emailed and spoken to several libraries and have been unsuccessful in getting a librarian to follow up and do this groundwork for me, even after I have agreed to pay research fees on top of the copying fees. In cases where the library refers the work onto a local genealogist, I’ve yet to get a reply including the information. I have, however, had various family members cite bits and pieces for me.)
A few more writings:
- History of the Ryen Family by Dr. Allen Ryen
- The Genealogy of Claudius Boatman by Dorothy E. Detjen, published posthumously by her daughter, Claudia Detjen Kinville in 1990
- The Boatman Family by Opal Cox, 1981 (contains two pages of Claudius Boatman’s family)
- A paper I believe is called “Claudius Boatman, Patriot” perhaps by Rhoda English Ladd
I will be adding to this, with more specific information, but for now, it’s time for me to sign off…